Oct 19, 2015

Starting out in a new venture at the Mad Bush Farm with things that grow



Sustainable Backyard Garden Display at Hamilton Gardens

This is my daily diary so I can keep track of what I'm doing with my future venture. After seven years of raising my kids, battling unemployment and depression with it I came to a decision. I have the land, the will and the determination to change my life. So I decided it was time to finally do something with the farm and make it pay somehow. This isn't going to easy and I have very limited financial resources. Once a while back I read about a man in the far north of New Zealand who was unemployed and only had a spade and a budget of $20 per week. He leased some land from his Iwi and has turned it into a successful growing venture. I have a spade, a pitchfork, loppers and a determined attitude that's a good start.



A few weeks ago I bought some lavender seeds from Kings Seeds and some black cummin. I planted part of the first packed of lavender seeds in a tray and hoped they would come up. I didn't expect that within three days the first of the tiny seedlings would appear! Out of the first tray I managed to get about 20 young plantlets the rest I removed as their growth was too weak and spindly. I also have Sugarsnap peas that need transplanting and some broccoli as well. It's going to take a lot of work to sort out the really difficult site I have for planting. The soil is terrible so it's going to need a lot of nuture and time. I'm prepared to do that. Wish me luck!

0 comments:

Post a Comment